Canada 67 Points Calculator Canadian CRS Calculator for Skilled Immigration Australia PR Points Calculator for Skilled Migration Visa Search My Anzsco
  • Home
  • /
  • New Zealand

Partners and Children Visa

Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa

If you have a partner who is a citizen or resident of New Zealand, this visa enables you to obtain residency in New Zealand.

Length of stay - Indefinitely

Cost - From NZD $2750

Processing time - 90% within 14 months

This visa enables you to reside, engage in employment, and pursue education within New Zealand. You have the option to include your dependent children, who must be 24 years old or younger, in your visa application.

Important points to consider:

If your partner obtained New Zealand residence through Australian citizenship, Australian permanent residence, or a resident return visa, you can only apply for this visa if your partner currently resides in New Zealand.

If your partner is a New Zealand citizen and you both have lived together outside of New Zealand for a period exceeding 5 years, you may be eligible for a permanent resident visa. However, your partner must either be overseas at the time of your application or have returned to New Zealand within the last 3 months.

Dependent children

If your children are dependent on you and they fit our standards, you can include them in your visa application, or they can apply for a visa based on their relationship to you.

How your children apply for a visa

There are two options for dependent children to apply for a visa:

You can potentially include them in your own visa application.

They may be eligible to apply for their own visas, depending on their relationship to you, if you already possess a visa, are in the process of applying for one, or if you are a citizen or resident of New Zealand.

NOTE:Children who are dependents are ineligible for work visas.

How are dependent children defined?

Depending on their age and whether they are requesting a temporary or resident visa, dependent children are defined differently.

Resident visas for dependent children

Dependent children can obtain resident visas under the following conditions:

Children who are 24 years old or younger and unmarried are considered dependent.

If they are 18 years or older, they cannot have children of their own.

Additionally, if they are between the ages of 21 and 24, they must also rely on either you or another adult for financial support, depending on the visa they have applied for.

Temporary visas for dependent children

Primary or secondary student visas as well as visitor visas pertain to the following conditions regarding dependent children:

Dependent children must be 19 years old or younger.

They must be unmarried.

They must rely on you for financial support.

If they are 18 or 19 years old, they cannot have children of their own.

For children who are 20 years old or older:

You are unable to include them in your application for a visitor or student visa.

They cannot apply for a visitor or student visa based on their relationship with you, unless they meet the requirements for a tertiary student visa.

If they wish to join you in New Zealand, they need to apply for their own visa.

Tertiary student visas

If you meet the criteria for the 2021 Resident Visa, your child, who resides in New Zealand, may have the opportunity to pursue tertiary education as a dependent child if they were between the ages of 17 and 25 on January 1, 2022, and fulfil specific conditions to qualify as a dependent child.

New Zealand Immigration

Trusted Our Partner Logo

Subscribe SVG


Consultation SVG

Get in Touch