Tier 1 (General) Visa
Skilful migrants with an existing visa in UK can apply for Tier 1 (General)or extend validity of this Visa type. It enables the applicant to explore jobs along with business or self-employment prospects without any support of a sponsor in the UK.
This visa form is granted for three years and applicants can apply for further extension of two years. Also, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which allows permanent UK residency can be applied after five years under this visa type.
Immigrants outside the UK or those with other immigration categories are now not eligible for this category of visa.
Fees for Tier 1 (General) visa application are mentioned in the table below:
|By post||Same day (in person)||Overseas|
|Dependants (Partner or child)||£1,607||£2,007||£874|
- Immigration categories – Applicants should be part of existing migration categories which include Tier 1 (General), Highly Skilled Migration Programme (HSMP), self-employed lawyer and writer, artist or composer.
- English language knowledge – Applicant needs to prove understanding of English language by having a degree in a course taught in English with recognition from UK National Recognition Centre (UK NARIC). Candidates can also pass English language examination in speaking, reading, writing and listening with minimum C1 level of the Common European Framework for Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Letter from bank – Proof from bank that applicant had 945 pounds in their account for 90 consecutive days.
- Points based system – Candidates are required to earn 95 or 100 points depending on the previous category. The criteria of rewarding points is based on various parameters which include qualifications, age, funds to maintain self during stay, work experiences and previous earnings. Example – If candidates show proof of studying or working in the UK, they will gain 5 points. Candidates are required to submit appropriate proof associated with points scored by them for application..
Also, applicants can consult proficient visa advisers from Immigration Experts which have expertise in points based system.
Essential documents needed while applying for Tier 1 (General) include:
- A recentcoloured passport size photograph.
- Existing passport or related applicable travel ID.
- English language eligibility proof.
- Original certificate representing academic qualification.
Privileges in this Visa category
- Stayingand working as an employee in maximum types of job or self-employed lawyer, artist, composer or writer in the UK.
- Also, access to various public organizations like libraries etc is included in it without any charges.
- Family members/dependants of the candidates can also apply to remain in the Uk with the candidate. Dependants include wife, husband and children.
Several restriction sassociated with this category
- Candidates are unable to receive public funds.
- They cannot get employment as a doctor in training (unless having a dentistry or medical degree from a UK recognized institution or eligible conditions from other visa categories).
- They are unable to get job as a professional sportsman.