To study in Canada, you will need to obtain a Canadian study permit, which serves as a Canadian student visa for the duration of your stay by the Canadian Government. The study permit is not mandatory if the study course/program is less than six months.
It is recommended to apply for a study permit visa before you come to Canada. It helps you if you further decide to continue your studies in another program. If you do not have the visa you will have to leave Canada to apply for a study permit through a visa office and after acquiring the visa you can come again, which becomes frustrating and lengthy.
Eligibility to Study in Canada
Canadian Study visa is mandatory to be obtained if you want to study in Canada.
Eligibility Criteria to study in Canada
- Acceptance by a designated learning institution in Canada.
- Evidence of sufficient funds to pay:
- tuition fees
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who accompany you to Canada and
- Return transportation for yourself and any family members who comes with you to Canada.
- You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. Present a police certificate to the visa issuing authority.
- You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if needed.
- You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Applying for a Canadian study permit
Application for Canadian study permit either online or through a paper application, can be obtained from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. The visa acquiring process is usually lengthy as it is on papers so it is recommended to keep a regular check the processing in advance.
For online application you need a credit/debit card and can create electronic copies of your supporting documents. There are specific instructions provided by the visa office in your country about the evidence of documents that needs to be presented. It varies from location to location. You can fetch instant assistance from your nearest visa application centre (VAC).
Process for obtaining a Canadian Student Visa is as follows:
- Firstly, obtain a standardized letter of acceptance from a recognized higher education provider of Canada. Students studying in Quebec must also apply for a certificate of acceptance, known as a CAQ, from the government of Quebec. It is mandatory to acquire acceptance letter to apply for a study permit. You can get this permit online, by printing out a form, or by requesting a paper form from your University, which will also accords advice relating to this subject matter.
- Secondly, you need to obtain a Canadian student visa application package, either from the CIC website or by contacting your local visa office, or the Canadian embassy or consulate in your home country. Obtain a temporary residence permit if you are from a designated country. This will however, not complicate the matters and it will also be processed at the simultaneously as your study permit application.
- For fetching the application package you are supposed to answer few questions about yourself on the CIC website. The answers to the questions will determine whether you are eligible to apply online for a Canadian student permit, and what are the documents you will need to provide for the student visa.
- If you eligible you will receive a personal checklist code that is valid for 60 days, which you will need in order to submit your application online. Ensure that you print the page that includes your code for future reference. The page also comprise of an application guide, an estimated tuition fees amount, a list of documents you will need to submit with your application, and guidelines for your next steps.
- Create a MyCIC account when you are ready for the application. Enter your personal checklist credentials to your account. You will receive your personal document checklist which allows you to upload and send your documents to CIC.
- When you are ready with all your required scanned documents and the application form is ready and fees payment is done, you can submit your completed application to CIC.
- It depends that some applicants may have to attend an interview at their local visa office.
Immigration Xperts is a renowned immigration consulting company. It houses highly experienced immigration experts who assist through the complex visa process. We have a long clientele list who have acquired student visa for Canada and other countries like Australia, UK etc. The arduous task is simplified by our experienced agents. Working on visa applications for a number of years have made them familiar with a few tricks that you can leverage for your benefit. To know more contact us at 8010357357 (Toll Free.)