Family is very important because it provides support and a framework of values. These values goes little haywire when one of the family member is staying away from the family in another country altogether. The government of Australia understands the value of togetherness of family members and the support dependent family members require from their close relatives.

The specially designed family migration scheme allows eligible individuals to sponsor their family members to join them in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis. Both the sponsor and applicant need to fulfil the eligibility criteria which vary depending on which visa you qualify for.

On proposing this migration program the sponsor is supposed to provide support to the applicant for minimum two years from the time they arrive in Australia. Also the sponsor may be asked to present a written undertaking and in some cases will be required to provide an Assurance of Support (AoS).

The eligibility criteria for acquiring this visa need to be fulfilled by the applicant in the form of question. The different fields are satisfying the health and character requirements, meeting the balance-of-family test and providing biometric identification.

Partner Visa Subclasses 820 and 801

There are mainly two types of Partner Visas:

  • Subclass 820
  • Subclass 801

The Subclass 820 visa is a temporary partner visa that allows you to live in Australia. This visa is the first step towards acquiring permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801). You can simultaneously apply for both visas and pay only one application charge. Visa applications are processed in two stages, about two years apart. The following are considered “partners” in Australian immigration law:

  • Fiancé(e)s
  • Married partners; and
  • De facto partners including same-sex marriages.

For the visa eligibility, you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with:

  • An eligible New Zealand citizen
  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident

Benefits of a Partner Visa

There are limited benefits offered by the Temporary Partner visa (Sub class 820) that includes:

  • Work & live in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801)
  • Study in Australia (without access to government funding)
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • You can comprise dependent children on your application ( the dependent applicants must be residing in Australia during the period of apply)

The Sub class 801/ Permanent Partner Visa involve maximum benefits of Australian permanent residency:

  • Work and live in Australia for a endless period
  • Get chance to study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s state-run healthcare program
  • Chance to apply for Australian citizenship
  • Sponsor relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel in and out of Australia as many times you want


Prospective Marriage Visa

This visa is permitted if the applicant is engaged to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Then you are allowed to enter Australia on a Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 130) and marry your fiancée/fiancé. Persons engaged to eligible New Zealand citizens may also come to Australia on a Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 130). Once you enter the country acquiring this visa you are supposed to marry within nine months compulsorily.

The Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 130) is a non-immigrant, temporary visa program. This visa does not give the status of permanent resident of Australia. To become a permanent resident, you must marry your Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen partner. Once you enter Australia and marry your partner, you may apply for a Partner Visa. The Partner Visa is a permanent resident visa.

Dependent Visa

Family Visa

The Australian government allows bringing your family on a dependent family visa. If your child or spouse wants to join you or you are coming to work or study temporarily in Australia – your family is eligible for a dependent visa.

Child Visa

This visa is entitled to children of Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens may immigrate to Australia to join their parents. The children below 25 years are eligible for this visa. These children may become Australian permanent residents on the Child Visa (Subclass 101). The parent sponsoring should be ready to take the responsibility of the child by taking care of his accommodation, finance for minimum two years of stay of the child in Australia.

The stepchildren and adopted children are also eligible for a Child Visa (Subclass 101).

Dependent Student Visa

You can bring your dependent family members while you are travelling to Australia for further study. You have the option to include them on your original student visa application or you can apply for them to join you after you have started your course in Australia. Spouses, partners and unmarried children under the age of 18 years are eligible for dependent visas.

Dependent Work Visa

While coming to Australia on a work visa, your dependent family members are eligible to join you on dependent visas. If you are coming on temporary worker visa, only your spouse or partner and any unmarried children under the age of 18 are eligible for dependent family visas. Whereas if you are coming to Australia on a migrant worker or business visa, any dependent family members are eligible to join you including:

  • Spouse or Partner
  • Any children under the age of 25
  • Aged dependent relatives such as parents or grandparents

Family Sponsorship

Family Stream migration has four main categories:

  • Partner
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Other

Partner Visa

A partner visa is specially for fiancé(e)s, spouses and de-factor or same-sex partners of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens. The main criterion for this visa is to show evidence that your relationship and you intend to live together permanently. For partner visa single application is needed that includes the temporary visa and the permanent resident visa. The temporary visa is issued for the partner to travel from his/her home country abroad to Australia where he/she may then adjust his/her status to permanent resident.

Child Visa

Your dependent children are open to join their parents living in Australia. There is option that the dependent children can join their parents during migration or they can move separately as well. There are Child visas for biological children, orphan relatives and adopted children of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens – these children may receive permanent resident visas. Initially they can live in Australia permanently and eventually apply for citizenship. There are also visas available for children, under the age of 18, of persons who in Australia on temporary student, worker or business visas.

Parent Visa

There are two categories of parent visas:

  • Aged Parent (Residence) (Subclass 804)
  • Parent (Migrant) (Subclass 103)

For the eligibility of an aged parent visa, you must be sponsored by your child or stepchild who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. You must also meet one of the following requirements:

  • At least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia; or
  • You have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.

Contact Immigration Xperts. We have aided thousands of our clients in acquiring a family visa for Australia. The arduous task is simplified by our experienced agents. Working on visa applications for a number of years have made them familiar with a few tricks that you can leverage for your benefit. To know more contact us at 8010357357 (Toll Free.)